Raspberry Pi has arrived!

Hi! I just want to share with all of you what I just got in the mail yesterday! :D

(Click the photo for better resolution in Picasa Photostream)
The world famous Raspberry Pi (model B) has arrived! :) I thought that I would have to wait 1 or 2 months from the order date to get one but happily it only took 2 or 3 days! RS was extremely fast shipping it :)

For the few of you who still haven't heard about the Raspberry Pi, it is a full computer with the size of a credit card (85.60mm x 53.98mm x 17mm)! It's just one of those incredible things that will change the world as we know it :).

Now you may be thinking "Wow, that must cost a lot of money!..." but the size of the board isn't the only small thing about it! It only cost me 40€ with shipping included (from UK to Portugal) :) . Here are the full specs:
SoC: Broadcom BCM2835 (CPU, GPU, DSP and SDRAM)
CPU: 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core (ARM11 family)
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV, OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder
Memory (SDRAM): 256MB (shared with GPU)
USB 2.0 ports: 2
Video Outputs: composite RCA (PAL & NTSC), HDMI (rev1.3 & 1.4), raw LCD Panels via DSI, 14 HDMI resolutions from 640x350 to 1920x1200 plus various PAL and NTSC standards.
Audio Outputs: 3.5mm jack, HDMI
Onboard Storage: SD/MMC/SDIO card slot
Onboard network: 10/100 Ethernet (RJ45)
Low level peripherals: 8xGPIO, UART, I²C bus, SPI bus with two chip selects, +3.3V, +5V, ground
Power ratings: 700 mA (3.5W)
Power source: 5V via MicroUSB or GPIO header
Size: 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 × 2.125 in)
Weight: 45g (1.6 oz)
Planned operating systems: Debian GNU/Linux, Fedora, Arch Linux, RISC OS.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to test it yet so my only comment about it is that it is really small, as you can see in the images below. I hope you like the photos and I promise that as soon as I get some time to test it I'l share those experiences with all of you! :) I can't even decide what to do with it because it has so many possibilities of use... a robot?... a home server?... a media center?... there are soooo many things that can be done with it! What would you do? :)If you read the FAQ in the Raspberry Pi website you'll find out that it contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Update (16/05/12): I finally had time to test it. Check the post about my First Impressions on the Raspberry Pi :)



Did you find this post helpful? Do you wish to contribute to other projects regarding computer science, electronics, robotics or mechatronics that will be posted in this blog? If you wish to do so, you can donate via paypal using the button below. Thanks! :)

Donate

1 comment:

  1. [...] Raspberry Pi has arrived! Hi! I just want to share with all of you what I just got in the mail yesterday! [...]

    ReplyDelete

top